Saturday, April 02, 2005

Post presentation reflection

After presenting at SITE and IST, I have been dished more food for thought.

An audience member asked me to distinguish blogs from websites. When I mentioned the blog vs. forum design, he had in mind something different from what I was thinking. He thought I would compare a group blog with a group discussion forum. My intent was to use individual blogs. All this reminds me that I have to operationalize "blogs" and "discussion forums" carefully. I had some notes on Feb 11 (one-to-many vs. many-to-many) and Jan 30 (types of blogs).

Another member recommended that I delve into literature about the use of reflective journals. This is a potentially useful tip and I record it here to remind me to do that.

Yet another member asked me where the blogs would be hosted. I intend to use Blogger (or possibly LiveJournal), i.e. an external host as this would save me time, effort, and money! Would I allow different blog providers? No, not if I want to control that variable.

1 comment:

W401 Instructor said...

I just remembered that the first audience member also asked me to distinguish weblogs from websites. (This will help in my operationalization of weblogs.)

There are critical differences even though both are essentially websites. What technical affordances do blogs have that websites typically do not have?
1. A system to archive entries
2. A method for visitors to make comments
3. RSS feeds