On Feb 1, I mentioned an alternative design of my study. I was given the option of using a "between" groups design on two different sections of an undergraduate class.
A member of the research discussion group mentioned that she taught a technology class, W301, for preservice teachers, a sizeable number of whom will be social studies teachers. It might be possible for one group to use blogging as their primary communications tool while the other group continue to use IU's course management tool, OnCourse.
One thought that comes to mind is that there is a serious confounding factor: The difference in instructors! I will need to discuss this with the group when we meet again.
Saturday, February 05, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It's been a month and my initial design has changed.
I still intend to use a "between" groups design: Blog vs. discussion forum. How might I control for the different instructor factor between groups? I can ensure that only one instructor teaches both groups or that one facilitator manages the reflection activity for both media. I might also consider a control group that uses only traditional journals, i.e. paper.
To add a level of complexity to my study, I am planning on adding the scaffolding variable.
Therefore I have a 2x2 factorial design: blog vs. discussion forum; scaffolding vs. no scaffolding. This way I can also determine the interaction of these factors.
Why add scaffolding to the equation? Doing this gets closer to my research agenda: The use of any technological tool is sociotechnical in nature. While there are technological affordances intrinsic to each tool, there are also social factors that determine how such tools are used.
Post a Comment