Thursday, August 31, 2006

New directions

Now that I am back in Singapore, I have had to re-examine my research agenda. Sadly, funding opportunities seem rare for reflection-based studies. Perhaps people are afraid of what they might see in the mirror!

I find myself getting involved in two other areas of research. One is the use of e-portfolios for young learners (six and seven year-olds). There are oppourtunities to explore interface design issues in the initial phase and learning issues during implementation. Two critical learning outcome issues could be the levels of reflection by young learners and the validlity of e-portfolios as an alternative assessment tool. Yet another learning issue is impact of e-portfolio use on the stress levels of such young learners.

The other main area of research revolves around a collaborative project with Futurelab, a UK-based company. The plan is to develop a prototype of a cutting edge educational game. Why get involved? Firstly, I like what the company stands for: learning and pedagogy before technology. Second, the examples they presented and the research they have done backs up this central principle. However, I will need to carve out a role and define my own research questions if I become a more permanent fixture in this collaboration.

No comments: