Catastrophic hard disk failure… the mere mention of that is probably enough to make anyone cry! But this happens to other people and at non-critical moments, right? It happened to me two days ago!
It seemed like an awful “after April Fool’s” prank when the hard drive on my trusty laptop died suddenly. I say trusty because my two-year-old laptop (Acer Aspire 2000 series) joined me on the asphalt in a road accident last July. It was a minor miracle that it did not conk out sooner!
I tried replacing the hard disk with a new one and reinstalling using a boot CD but the CD drive also died! Fortunately, I had data and program backups in an external hard disk and more recent data in a thumb drive and online. Ah, backups… the lifeline of the anal-retentive!
I bought a cheap laptop replacement (Compaq V2405) yesterday and have spent the last day reinstalling and customizing.
What a scare! Better now than later I guess. An important “later” is my dissertation defense, which I have scheduled for June 19, 2006.
Thursday, April 06, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment