Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Process: Recruiting participants

Recruiting participants has been more difficult than I had anticipated.

As expected, the four classes have almost entirely different overall personalities, but they could not be starker than when I invited preservice teachers to participate. Two classes were not very forthcoming while two others were more helpful.

I am currently doing a second round of recruitment before I conduct the first online survey. I had created the survey weeks ago and it is ready to go. I tested a slightly different version of it on my own classes and participants zipped through it.

In hindsight, a better strategy might have been to give everyone the survey (to give them a taste of what it would be like to be a participant) and then exclude the data of those who opt out.

Initial discourse data is already online and available for coding. However, I need more participants for the study to stand up to critique. I will collect interview data after the survey sheds more light on the participants. I have also started observing class sessions that are relevant to my data set. So things still look good as far as I am concerned!

I remain optimistic (no point getting worried or depressed, eh?). I also have two backup plans should things really spiral downward.

No comments: